GTU Evaluation Pattern
Reference GEC Modasa website
Evaluation System of Gujarat Technological University (As per prevailing norms)
- The evaluation pattern consists of a component of mid-semester examination by the individual college/institute as well as a final semester-end examination conducted by the University. The former will carry a 30% weight and the later 70% weight towards the total marks obtained by the student in given subject. The internal component of the examination consisting of 50 marks, to be awarded by the instructor on the basis of assignments, seminars, quizzes, attendance and practical work etc. the scheme of assessment is to be decided by the instructor of the course and announced at the beginning of the course. After adding the internal marks, with the marks secured by the student in the university examination, the marks will be converted to a letter grade as per the following:
|Sr. No.||Courses||University Theory Exam||Mid Semester Exam||Practical/ Continuous Evaluation/ Viva Voce etc.|
|Max.Marks||Passing Marks||Max.Marks||Passing Marks||Max.Marks||Passing Marks|
Criteria or range for grades
|Marks||85 to 100||75 to 84||65 to 74||55 to 64||45 to 54||40 to 44||35 to 39||Leaa than 35|
Formula to find SPI
» Where SPI is Semester Performance Index,
» C is the credit of particular subject
» G is the grade point obtained by the student.
» Credit of the subject is multiplied with grade point and then SPI is calculated.
» Suppose you have scored marks as below,
|Subject||Credit||Marks||Grade||Grade Point||Credit * Grade Point|
|Maths – 1||5||87||AA||10||50|
|SPI =||SUM (Credit * Grade Point) /SUM (Credit)|
» So Your SPI is 8.33
» If student fails in the examinations then he/she may take remedial university examinations to be held during mid semester exams.
» SPI is semester performance index and it represents performance of a student for 1 semester.
» CPI is cumulative performance index and it represents performance of a student of all semesters.
» CPI is calculated same as SPI but it considers all results instead of 1 semester.
» Class and Distinction will be awarded based on CPI. (Results of all semesters will be considered)
GTU Rules for Backlog:
- Evaluation system for degree engineering (B.E.) is simple and straight forward. 100% weight-age is given to written exam (70% External Exam + 30% Mid Sem Exam). Internal Grade (Term work & Practical work) consists of 50 Marks. Marks will be converted to grade and then to grade point.
|Particulars||Marks||Minimum marks required for passing|
|Mid Semester Test conducted by Institutes||30||12|
|GTU End Semester Examination||70||23|
|Term Work, Practical,Attendance, etc…||50||25|
GTU Detention Rules:
- At any point of time, student can have maximum 4 backlogs (FF) pending.
- If backlogs are more than 4 than new subjects will not be allocated and heshe is detained for one year.
- Immediate previous semester backlogs are not counted for detain purpose. Example:
- Suppose you have 2 backlogs in Sem-I, 1 backlog in Sem-II and 3 backlogs in Sem-III and you are studying in 4th semester. Now Total Backlog = 6(2+1+3) but for detain purpose only 3 (2+1) will be counted and you are not detained. But when you reach to 5th sem then all the backlogs before Sem-IV will be counted and if you have not cleared any of previous backlogs then you are detained.
- Minimum 75% attendance is must to fill GTU Examination form and to appear in End Semester or External Examination.
- 10% of total absentia of students due to illness may be considered by Institute. (Circular No: GTU/Circular/M.L./2011/2763 Date: 02-04-2011) Example:
- If you are absent for 20 days due to illness then present of only 2 days will be considered
GTU Attendance Rule:
Criteria for the award of degree in GTU
The proposed structure for the award of Degree engineering is as follows.
|CPI||Equiv. % of Marks||Class|
|5.5 or above||50||Second Class|
|6.5 or above||60||First Class|
|7.1 or above||70||Distinction Class|